The next steps in the process of the “Seraphim” cover art went through some color variations. In fact it is easier to describe this second illustration, since the guidelines were laid-out in the first cover art. This makes the process a lot easier, the Sepia tone was important to meet and the red of her hair. Everything else was secondary important.

The intricate details and the dark-look of the Voodoo-priest in the back was inspired by a portrait from an early Billy Idol, another difficult point was to describe the face and appearnce of Seraphim.

Since there was no character sheet to describe her exactly, this was not as easy as pie, but not impossible.

This is an update on the cover process from Wayne´s book "Aristeia- Revolutionary Right - Book One. The color process consisted of two given choices, one warm-yellow-greenish toned and the version displayed above. When working on the colors I tried to add depth and nothing worked better than a dark violet, complementary against a nice sand-colored desert planet. In the step between the rough coloring and final rendering, I added a variety of details, such as the hard lighting on the left of Maarkean, mentioned in the other post, and the subtle paint strokes that makes him appear slightly haggard. There was an option to either make a split cover where the ship is shown on one and the character on the other side, while this may work out nice on a comic, it is actually not easy to make this work on a sci-fi book cover. In the final version I spent the most time refining the facial expression, tattoo as also the hands, weapon and the spaceship. 

This is the final painting of the cover-jacket, the full scene and also the crop for the front cover only.

The final painting includes the texture patterns of the street, the mountains and especially the face of the zombie that was a lot of fun to do. I used a plain round brush set to scatter in different variations to get the rough skin texture. The digital painting technique allows for very experimental color transitions such as the bright blue to apocalypse on the right side.

A more detailed painting update on the zombie-cover for Jason Kristopher´s book "the dying of the light - the end"  added a new layer group for colors and a new layer on top to add details. In general I worked not from a traditional scanned sketch this time, I started out with a 72 dpi rough and scaled the image up to 150 dpi and now to 300 dpi in this version of the image. This allows to add details when needed and prevents wasting time at the very beginning. 

A more detailed painting update on the zombie-cover for Jason Kristopher´s book "the dying of the light - the end"  added a new layer group for colors and a new layer on top to add details. In general I worked not from a traditional scanned sketch this time, I started out with a 72 dpi rough and scaled the image up to 150 dpi and now to 300 dpi in this version of the image. This allows to add details when needed and prevents wasting time at the very beginning. 

This is the final version of the vampire- cover illustration. Not too much difference to the previous version - mainly worked out some details and slightly color corrections. Besides the nice illustration work, this commission turned into a bigger graphical assignment, where I´ve got to do the whole typography and layout for the book, besides bookmarks and promotion placards.

This is the final version of the vampire- cover illustration. Not too much difference to the previous version - mainly worked out some details and slightly color corrections. Besides the nice illustration work, this commission turned into a bigger graphical assignment, where I´ve got to do the whole typography and layout for the book, besides bookmarks and promotion placards.

A more detailed and nearly finished version of the vampire book cover. The overall coloring changed to rather Sepia, a doorway was added with a hint of a wall on the left side as also fog to give the whole setting a more spooky atmosphere. The red of the hair was improved and the textile became some treatment. The overall contrast needed to be pushed as it is a night scene with full moon, the fog does somewhat reflect the moonlight, but not too much. In this kind of illustrations the aspect of realism has clearly to stay in the second row, which is not a bad thing, otherwise the characters were just dark, nearly black and covered by a glow from the back lighting. 

A more detailed and nearly finished version of the vampire book cover. The overall coloring changed to rather Sepia, a doorway was added with a hint of a wall on the left side as also fog to give the whole setting a more spooky atmosphere. The red of the hair was improved and the textile became some treatment. The overall contrast needed to be pushed as it is a night scene with full moon, the fog does somewhat reflect the moonlight, but not too much. In this kind of illustrations the aspect of realism has clearly to stay in the second row, which is not a bad thing, otherwise the characters were just dark, nearly black and covered by a glow from the back lighting.